There are many thing you can do to strengthen you Anterior Cingulate, which helps you regulate emotion. Today’s blog will address one.
STAY INTELLECTUALLY ACTIVE
Like your muscles, your brain maintains better function when you use it. There are more neural connections in the frontal lobe than any other part of your brain. Regular intellectual stimulation strengthens this area, enabling your ability to communicate, solve problems, and make rational decisions about your behavior.
Ways to stay intellectually active:
- Routinely play memory games such as chess, Lumosity, Mahjong, Sudoku, Crosswords, and the like.
- Routinely read a book.
- Take a course to learn new skills and information.
- Try writing or journaling.
- Read scripture and reflect and meditate on its meaning.
- Engage in discussion on religious and spiritual issues.
- Try memorizing scripture, a script, poetry, or music.
If you keep you mind active, you strengthen your ability to regulate the thoughts that trigger emotions. You better able to help your brain discern what threats are real and how to meet your emotional needs. Like physical exercise, intellectual activity leads to mental and emotional wellness!
Photo by Thought Catalog on Unsplash